Is ostrich leather good for a wallet?
Ostrich leather can be used to build a high-quality and long-lasting wallet. One of the most distinguishing features of ostrich leather is its distinct texture and pattern, which is highly sought after for fashion and luxury items. Ostrich leather is noted for its strength, resilience, and softness, making it excellent for wallets and other often used leather goods.
Ostrich leather is also inherently water resistant and less prone to scratches and scuffs than other leathers. The leather can be tanned in a variety of colors and finishes, giving designers a lot of leeway in developing new and unique goods.
It is crucial to note, however, that ostrich leather is more sensitive than other varieties of leather and requires more care and attention to maintain its appearance and longevity. And, as previously stated, it is costly and restricted in some countries and states.
Overall, if you're searching for a high-quality and one-of-a-kind wallet, ostrich leather may be a decent choice, but you need also consider the expense and care required to keep it in good condition.
How to care for an ostrich leather wallet
Here are some recommendations for maintaining an ostrich wallet:
- Keep it away from water: Because ostrich leather is highly porous, it absorbs water and other liquids rapidly. This causes the leather to swell and warp, as well as discolouration.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals: Solvents and alcohol, for example, can harm ostrich leather and cause it to dry out and crack.
- Apply a conditioner: To keep the leather soft and supple, use an ostrich leather conditioner that has been specially prepared.
- Keep it away from direct sunshine: Ostrich leather can fade if exposed to direct sunlight for an extended period of time, so keep your wallet in a cool, dry spot away from direct sunlight.
- Clean it on a regular basis: Gently clean your wallet with a gentle cloth wet with water. Then pat it dry with a dry cloth and allow it to air dry.
- Overfilling the wallet can cause the leather to expand and lose shape over time.
It's also worth noting that Ostrich leather is sensitive and requires special care, so it's best to check with the wallet's manufacturer for care instructions, as they may differ from other varieties of leather.
How much is a wallet made of ostrich skin?
The cost of an ostrich skin wallet varies based on various aspects, including the quality of the skin, the design and craftsmanship of the wallet, and the brand. On average, a high-quality ostrich skin wallet will set you back several hundred dollars. Some luxury brands might cost up to $1000 or more.